Monday, September 20, 2010

Struggling with ADHD and non-cooperation

Well we are started on our second year of homeschooling and the children really seemed excited for the year to start...especially with the new "classroom" space....but a few weeks in, and I'm feeling the same old emotions of frustration and failure.....I just can't seem to get ANY of them to sit and listen to the lesson or to work on what they should to reinforce the lesson. My son, diagnosed with ADHD, is the worst offender of this. When I am able to get him downstairs, he's constantly distracting everyone else, fighting, running up the stairs, running outside, etc. If not for anything else, I'll get MY exercise in! Seriously though, it's really got me re-thinking this decision to homeschool....if not just him, but all four of them. But what are my options...send them back to public school or send them to private school? One option brings back the dreaded IEP's and struggles to get the kids what they need and the other brings a financial burden I'm sure that our family wouldn't be able to handle right now...but how do you teach a child that tells you he doesn't like you as a teacher or shows absolutely no interest in learning? I wish I had some answers, some instant solution that would make the struggles go away. It reminds me of the story "The Little Engine that Could"......I have to remember to pray, pray HARD, and remember the little engine's mantra..." I think I can, I think I can....I know I can, I know I can...."....can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment